Buyer Beware: Great Article from the BBB on VIN Cloning
We at Select Luxury Cars want to do what we can to help you avoid getting ripped off. From time to time we will post information that we feel is useful to you. This article on the Better Business Bureau website, titled VIN Cloning Swindles Luxury Car Buyers, is a few years old but the information in it is as valid as ever. This usually happens in private-party transactions such as buying from an individual who has advertised on Craigslist or in the local newspaper, but some dealers do end up with such cars if they aren’t careful about doing their due diligence on each and every vehicle (don’t worry – we are VERY careful about this!).
From the BBB article:
This type of scam artist preys on middle-income consumers who are thrilled to get a great deal on an expensive vehicle. To help prevent falling victim to VIN cloning, the Better Business Bureau suggests the following:
- Be extremely cautious if you see a late model luxury car selling significantly under normal market price.
- Do not fall for the “we need cash quickly” excuse; exercise due diligence.
- Check the VIN number on the dashboard against the car’s title documents. If there is a discrepancy, that is a definite red flag.
- Make certain the dashboard VIN number also matches the number under the hood and at the door jamb on the driver’s side.
- Closely examine the car’s title, registration and other documents. Fake documents sometimes contain misspelled words, which points to something amiss.
- If you still have questions about the validity of the vehicle’s VIN, obtain a comprehensive vehicle history report.
If you feel like you might be a victim of VIN cloning, contact your local police department.
Select Luxury Cars has an A+ Rating by the Better Business Bureau and are a BBB Accredited business. A link to the BBB Reliability Report for Select Luxury Cars is here. We also provide CarFax reports on all of our cars – we want you to feel completely at ease when making a major purchase such as a used luxury car.